Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Homemade Oreo's

This is another recipe my mom used to make when I was little and I would say they are one of my favorite cookies! I have tried different recipes and I am pretty sure this one is my favorite. I make cream cheese frosting for the middle but you could also make buttercream if you prefer.






Homemade Oreo Cookies
2 devil's food cake mixes
4 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup Crisco
1 cube butter

Mix all the ingredients together until smooth. It would be easiest with a Kitchen Aid mixer because it is kind of hard for a hand mixer to handle. Technically you could do it by hand but if you don't have a Kitchen Aid... like me... use a hand mixer to get it started and almost smooth and then try to finish it with a wooden spoon. 
Next roll into balls I made them about tablespoon size. Then bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and take out to cool on a wire rack.

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 cube butter or margarine
1 tsp vanilla
1 package of cream cheese
Beat the cream cheese and butter, with a hand mixer, together in a large mixing bowl until softened and smooth. Next add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Scrape the sides of the bowl and continue to blend until smooth. 

FINALLY, take one cooled chocolate cookie and frost it as generously as you like and simple top it with another cookie! yummm... you have a homemade oreo!

No comments:

Post a Comment