Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Delicious Fish and Brazilian Rice


I learned how to make rice in Brazil. They don't really use recipes so I had to adjust on how to learn how to make Brazilian recipes. And I don't know what it is about Brazilians but they make the best rice and it is delicious every time! They can make a delicious meal in their big rice pot adding a cut up whole chicken and vegetables. yummmm.... I still don't think I make it as good as they do but I sure try!

Brazilian Rice
2 cloves of garlic, minced.
1/2 onion, diced.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup of long grain rice
2 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste
Add a shake of any kind of spices you like. I added a shake of garlic salt, pepper, and chili powder.


I use a medium sized pot and put the oil in the bottom of the pan and let it start warming up. Then add in the garlic and onion and give it a stir. Let the onion cook and soften for about a minute and add some salt and pepper. 
(Right now, in a separate cup start warming up your 2 cups of water in the microwave.)
 Now add the rice to the onions and get it all stirred together and let them cook together for another minute. Then add the hot water and stir it all together and turn the heat down to low so it can simmer. I cook my rice with the lid on. Let the rice simmer for about 30 minutes or until the water has all absorbed. If the rice is still crunchy add just a little bit more water and let the rice absorb it until your rice is light and fluffy. Now your rice is ready to go.
Like I said before Brazilians add a lot of things to their rice... if you want to add shredded carrots or beets while you are sauteing the onions feel free! I added some green onions and mixed them in at the end and they added a little color.

Delicious Fish
4 fish fillets, like tilapia
2 eggs, beaten and add a splash of milk
1 sleeve of Ritz crackers, finely crushed
salt and pepper

In a medium skillet, add a little bit of oil, over medium high heat, so it covers the bottom of the pan. You don't need to add a ton because the oil is just to crisp the crackers and cook the fish quick. While the oil is heating up, dip the fish fillets in the egg mixture and get both sides covered. Then transfer and dip in the cracker mixture. Spread the crushed crackers over the spots where they don't stick. Now carefully put the fish in the skillet and let them start cooking for about 5 minutes on the first side. Carefully lift up the side of the fish and see if the crumbs have browned. When browned then flip and allow the other side to cook through. Then allow the fish to sit on some paper towels and serve with the rice! In the picture shown we finished off the meal with a bag of frozen cheesy vegetables that are a quick and easy finish! Enjoy! 

*If anyone ever has a question about a recipe... go ahead and let me know. I know sometimes I probably don't explain things completely clear. But I hope you all enjoy!*

1 comment:

  1. Sister do ceu!! Q delicia!! Eu adoro peixe!! Vou ter q fazer!! E essa bag de cheesy vegetables, eu nunca vi, onde q compra??
    bjss

    ReplyDelete