Monday, April 18, 2011

Festival of Colors Cupcakes

Dietetics has 3 main focuses: clinical nutrition, community nutrition, and food service. For one of our assignments in our food service class we did a "theme day" project. My group decided to have our theme day be a "Festival of Colors" and encourage everyone in attendance to eat colorful fruits and vegetables. We planned to decorate with bright colored table cloths and have a fruit bowl as the centerpiece. I was in charge of making the sample on the menu for the class to taste and I found a fun recipe for colorful cupcakes that fit perfectly with the theme.

Festival of Colors Cupcakes
1 cake mix
2 eggs
1 cup of yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup oil
Add all of the ingredients together and mix on low for about a minute then scrape the  bowl. On medium speed continue to blend until light and well blended about 2 more minutes. Divide the cake batter into different bowls so you can make different colors of batter. I made 5 colors but I think when I make these again I will just do four. You pick! Then I used some liquid (dripper) food coloring and some of the Wilton paste coloring. Both seemed to work just fine so just pick bright colors and color them all different. Then start putting a spoonful of each color in the cupcake liners and layer them. You can smooth out each layer by wetting your finger and smoothing it our or wetting the bottom of a spoon. This helps them stay separated. 
Then just bake according to the instructions on the package and they should come out looking like... THIS!

The lighting in our apartment isn't that great and neither is the camera... but these are super cute cupcakes! I got the idea from the blog "Ourbestbites.com". It is an amazing blog and I recommend that anyone reading check it out! :)


This is the view of  the cupcake that has been opened!

For the frosting I made a cream cheese/buttercream frosting:
1/2 package of light cream cheese
1/2 cube of butter
1lb. powdered sugar
1 cap of vanilla
I don't like frosting that is too sweet so I try not to add too much powdered sugar or I can't even eat it. So add as much as you feel to give the frosting the taste you prefer. Also, if you want to pipe the frosting on the cupcake you will need a large star tip and a frosting bag and then just squeeze the frosting out with consistent pressure in a swirling motion until you have covered the cupcake. Then top with bright colored sprinkles!

No comments:

Post a Comment