Sunday, April 17, 2011

Crepes

Ok. this is my 5th post for the day and I saved the best for last. I don't know why but Crepes always seemed like they would be hard to make... I was very wrong! These are so easy to make and so much fun and delicious! I am super excited to try lots of different savory and sweet fillings in the future. If anyone has any questions about any of the recipes I have posted feel free to comment and I can explain the recipes a little bit more. Thanks!
All of the delicious crepes with whipped cream and strawberries were gone by the time I remembered to take a picture... so I just folded the crepes up so they weren't just laying flat on the plate. Hopefully that helps everyone see what they should kind of look like with thickness and doneness.

Basic Crepes
2 eggs
2 Tbs oil
3 Tbs sugar (don't add the sugar if you are making savory crepes)
1 cup flour
1 1/3 cups milk

 Combine the dry ingredients together with a whisk so the sugar is evenly distributed. Add the wet ingredients together in a 2 cup measuring cup and mix them until the eggs are well distributed then add the wet ingredients to the dry. Whisk together until there are no lumps. 
Add about 2 tsp of butter to a skillet and let it melt at about medium heat, then add about 1/4 cup of the batter to the bottom of the skillet and let it cook for like 30 seconds until you can put a spatula under the crepe and flip it over. Flip it over and let it cook on that side for another about 20 seconds. I knew they were done when they were slightly browned.
Now... about the fillings: we put some Reddi-Whip and diced up strawberries in some, Nutella was also delicious. I also know that other good topping ideas are: lightly brushed with butter and sprinkled with sugar and/or cinnamon, or a drizzle of syrup or jam. Just experiment!
*A delicious savory chicken mushroom crepe with asparagus is next on the list... so stay tuned!* 

1 comment: