Wednesday, October 10, 2012

BEST Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken

Oh my goodness! I am in shock. This recipe was incredible. I am so happy right now. Have you ever had a moment like that, where you've tried a new recipe and just hoped that it would turn out good and voila! it tueds out AMAZING and even better than you could have expected? If you haven't had that happen before then try this recipe! It will exceed your sweet and sour expectations. I promise. I got the recipe from my good friend Mel over at Mel's Kitchen Cafe, well at least we should be friends since we have almost identical taste buds! She doesn't actually know I exist but I love her blog and so we are good friends in my mind. :) If you haven't seen her blog, I recommend visiting melskitchencafe.com in the near future. You won't regret it.

 Back to the recipe, I love sweet and sour chicken but sometimes it can be soggy with the sauce or have a deep fried breading that separates from the chicken and just isn't that good. But this recipe has just the right amount of crispiness and stickiness to make you definitely put it on your list of favorite recipes. To add to the list of wonderful things, it is baked not deep fried so you are saving calories too! But enough of listening to my testimonial... go make it!


Baked Sweet & Sour Chicken
Recipe adapted from: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
For the chicken:
4-6 chicken breasts
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup cornstarch
3 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil

For the sauce:
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tbsp. ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar (I didn't have apple cider so I used white vinegar)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp garlic salt

Directions:
Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. And while the oil is warming up, cut up the thawed chicken breasts into approximately one inch pieces. (Try to keep them about the same size to they cook evenly.) Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken pieces.

Next place the chicken into a large gallon-sized Ziploc bag with the cornstarch and toss to coat the chicken evenly with the cornstarch. Whisk the eggs in a pie plate. Next, dip the cornstarch-coated chicken in the egg and place them, a few at a time, carefully in the oiled skillet.

Cook until lightly browned on each side. (Don't cook all the way through because they will finish cooking in the oven.) Place chicken in a 13x9 in. baking dish in a single layer.

Mix the sauce ingredients together in a medium bowl and pour evenly over the chicken in the dish.

Bake for one hour. Turn the chicken a couple times during the cooking process to make sure it is evenly coated.

Serve over hot rice and a side of broccoli. Yummm!!!

It is so hard for me to remember to take a picture before I have almost finished eating!

Enjoy!


2 comments: